What’s the Idea?
This is everything you need to make the perfect cauliflower cheese.
What’s the story
This is my flatmate’s favourite dinner so I make this to cheer her up and myself when its raining or when I have had a bad day.
It’s perfect when you really fancy something comforting to eat. This is my late mother’s recipe but I’ve made a few tweaks myself.
People should do this because…?
Its really quick to make.
Its really cheap to buy the ingredients.
Its a perfect side dish or as a main meal and suitable for vegetarians and is gluten free if you use cornflour.
People will love you if you make it for them.
How do you do it?
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into large florets
- 1/4 of a pat of butter
- 3 heaped dessert spoons of corn flour (or plain flour if not gluten free)
- 1/2-3/4 litre milk
- 1 .5 tsp English mustard (or more to taste)
- 250g mature cheddar, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika (optional)
Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a 2 tier steamer or large saucepan of water if boiling. Steam for about 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Drain.
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and then add in the flour. It will start to clump together but continue to cook over a gentle heat stirring constantly with your whisk for a couple of minutes to allow the flour to cook off.
Then start to gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition.
Stir in the mustard and then taste the sauce, add some black pepper to taste.
Add the cheese and stir in until the cheese has melted .
Arrange the cauliflower in an ovenproof baking dish.
Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered and bake for 15–30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
Stuff you may need
- Sharp knife
- 2 tiered vegetable steamer or saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Hand whisk
- Cheese grater (if not using pre-grated cheese)
- Ovenproof dish (big enough to hold all the cauliflower florets and the cheese sauce)
Links to other stuffer pages