What’s the Idea?
Make cardboard fairy wings with your kids to encourage their creativity while having fun.
What’s the story
These cardboard fairy wings are so easy and cheap to make combining a fun craft session with easy-access materials.
Every child who ever dreamt of fairies wants some fairy wings of their own!
Once completed, kids can enjoy the magical play of dressing up and believing in fairies.
You could also make a pretty flower crown to add to the fairy theme.
Why not pair them with dress-up costumes (or whatever outfit your child desires!) and go for a fairy adventure in the garden or at the park?
People should do this because…?
Toddlers love to discover new ways to play, and love to get their hands dirty.
You can combine both in this activity that lets even the youngest children participate.
This activity is great for sensory play and colour learning, as it involves paint and various textures, and an array of bright colours and sensations.
Using recycled cardboard is also a great way to teach reuse and upcycling of materials.
For older kids, why not get them involved too making some recycled tin can lanterns to add to the fairy ambience.
How do you do it?
- Using the fold in the cardboard as the centre of the wings, draw an outline of wings on the cardboard, and cut out.
- Paint the wings in any colours or patterns that take your fancy! For greater coverage, use wide sponge brushes.
- Once the paint is dry, use PVA glue to stick decorations down on the wings. (You can use all kinds of paper, tissue, gems, stickers, leaves and flowers.)
- Use a pencil or skewer to pierce two sets of holes on either side of the centrefold, one set closer to the top, the other closer to the bottom.
- Thread a length of thin elastic through the holes, creating armbands so the wings can be worn.
- Your wings are ready! Enjoy imaginative play as colourful rainbow fairies.
Stuff you may need
- Recycled cardboard with a fold (such as a large cardboard box)
- Acrylic paint
- Thin elastic or ribbon
- Decorations (eg. Craft feathers, plastic gems, tissue paper, sequins, leaves, doilies)
- PVA glue