What’s the Idea?
Make a fruit smoothie at home using fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, ice and some kind of liquid to make a delicious drink.
It is a quick and easy way to ensure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals into your diet. You can mix and match fruit and vegetables to make a tasty drink to kick start your day.
What’s the story
I have been making smoothies for a few years now since I had access to a Nutribullet.
It’s preferable to use a blender rather than a juicer. Juice isn’t so healthy as it removes the fibre in the fruit and this means it’s mainly sugar.
Being a qualified Nutritional Therapist, I’m always trying new recipes and looking for new ingredients to make a different smoothie every day.
People should do this because…?
It’s a quick and easy way for anyone to get a good boost of nutrients in a quick and easy format.
It’s better for you than pre-made ones as there are no preservatives in them. You can also make your own recipes using your favourite ingredients.
How do you do it?
Let’s make a fruit smoothie!
Gather your ingredients: recipe makes 2 glasses
- 1 x base fruit for sweetness – banana, pineapple or apple (you can buy or freeze your own banana or pineapple)
- 1 x teaspoon of coconut oil or half an avocado
- 1.5 cups of coconut water, filtered water or any type of milk or yoghurt (depending on your preference)
- ½–1 cup frozen berries – blueberries, raspberries, cherries, forest fruit mix, cranberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, etc.
- A handful of seeds – sunflower seeds, pumpkin, chia, flaxseed, hemp, etc. Or you can buy the pre-ground mixes https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302677278
- 3–4 nuts – Walnuts, brazil, almonds, hazelnut, etc. You can mix and match
- A teaspoon of Vitamin C/Ascorbic Acid powder https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-C-Powder-1kg-Bag-Pharmaceutical/dp/B00LOM2YLQ
- A few pieces of ice
- Optional other fruit can be added such as kiwi but be sure not to overload your container.
- Add together into your blender and blend until smooth and bits are very small.
- Taste and see if it needs something else. Do not add sugar or sweeteners.
- For more nutrients you can add vegetables such as spinach, kale, carrot – on fact anything. Why not experiment.
- Enjoy straight away or refrigerate for later. Consume on the same day.
A Nutri-bullet or other blender
Sharp knife and peeler (depending on what your ingredients are)
Links to other articles on the web
Links to other videos on the web
Links to apps
Links to books