What’s the idea?
To celebrate the easing of lockdown around the world, we are running a Global Landscape Painting Competition for all artists of all ages.
What’s the story?
I myself am a painter and painting landscapes has really lifted my spirits whilst I’ve been in lockdown.
I’m also lucky enough to have an amazing painting mentor – Ann Gardner, an internationally recognised landscape painter.
(Ann was taught by both Lucian Floyd and Euan Uglow at the Slade – you can read about her here.)
Ann has kindly agreed to judge this year’s landscape painting competition.
Amazingly, she has also offered her mentoring services as the prize for the winner!
People should do this because…?
Any excuse to paint, really!
(And if you’re a landscape painter, a landscape painting competition is a very good excuse.)
It’s an amazing prize – mentoring time with one of the best British landscape artists currently working.
It’s a great opportunity to have your work seen by art lovers around the world, as we will publish every entry to the 2020 Landscape Painting Competition on our website.
How To Enter
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED
The competition will be judged by Ann Gardner, celebrated British landscape artist, and her decision will be final.
Ann is looking for the following in a winning entry:
“I am primarily looking for a painting which conveys an atmosphere that can transport me to the landscape. Plus a sensitivity of line and colour, and a ‘truthfulness’, which express what the artist is seeing.”
Dates and timings
- The deadline for submissions is Midnight, Sunday 28th June 2020
- The winner will be announced on Monday 13th July 2020
Conditions of entry
(Read the full Terms and Conditions here.)
- The competition is open to both amateur and professional artists, of all ages
- Entries are welcome from anywhere around the World
- Entry is via the online webform only
- There is a limit of one entry per artist
- There is no charge for submissions – entry is free
- The subject of the painting must be recognizably a ‘landscape’
- Semi-abstract landscapes are allowed
- The entry must be an original, 2D painted artwork
- The entry must be created in a paint medium, such as acrylics, oils, or watercolours
- Mixed media submissions are acceptable, as long as they are 2D and primarily created in paint
Entry photo guidelines
- Please upload your photo as a jpeg or png file
- The maximum file size is 3MB
- The image must be at least 1000px wide
- The resolution of the photo should be at least 72 dpi and no more than 300 dpi
- Please ensure the photo is an accurate representation of the real-life artwork
- The photo should be taken in strong light, and natural daylight where possible
- Please make sure the picture is clear and in focus
- The photo should only be of the painting itself
- There should be no additional content, such as frames, mounts, walls, tables or any other kind of background
- Because of the nature of the prize, on this occasion there can be only one winner;
- However we will also announce which paintings were shortlisted for the prize;
- There are 2 parts to the prize:
- An appraisal of up to 10 portfolio paintings by Ann Gardner, celebrated British landscape artist (of any subject);
- Up to 4 hours’ worth of mentoring time with Ann, conducted via email, instant messaging, or phone or video call, as appropriate.
- The prize is not transerable.